For over 40 years, Creative Teaching Press has developed and created educational materials for educators, including the Learn to Read series. Over and over again, we have heard from teachers how much their students LOVE the Learn to Read books and how the books get children hooked into learning how to read. So, we developed the Learn to Read Kids Club program for teachers and parents who are helping young readers that are just beginning their reading journey or who are struggling to gain literacy skills.
Designed with the needs of emergent readers in mind, the Learn to Read Kids Club program is comprised of the Learn to Read book series along with supporting parent guides (that are great for teachers, too) and companion workbooks. Together these components provide an encouraging, well-rounded, positive learn-to-read experience for teachers, parents and children.
The Learn to Read Kids Club is a versatile and effective supplemental reading series in the classroom. The books and corresponding worksheets can be used as reading center or small-group activities. They could be sent home as a homework assignment or as a family literacy project. Also, the books and the corresponding worksheets could be paired together and made into an enrichment activity for students who finish their regular class work early or for students who are struggling to stay on pace.
Parents often turn to teachers for recommendations on educational materials that can be used at home with their children. The Learn to Read Kids Club series is perfect for home use! We have created this Learn to Read Kids Club flyer for you to distribute to parents who may seek a recommendation from you for reading materials.
About the Learn to Read Books
The Learn to Read books were developed by classroom teachers and literacy experts. They feature easy-to-read stories, rhymes, and songs that engage students’ attention and nurture reading development. Each book is designed to encourage and support students’ reading efforts by providing the following elements:
- High-interest topics for beginning readers
- Humorous or surprise endings that children love
- Predictable story lines with repeating text
- Illustrations on every page that match the text to provide maximum support to the emergent reader
- Targeted skill practice in phonics, sight words, vocabulary, literacy concepts and other learning skills
- Extension activities at the back of each book
- Endearing characters that children adore
About the Parent Guides
The expertly developed Parent Guides provide the support parents and teachers need to effectively teach their young learners how to read. For each book in the Learn to Read series, the Parent Guide features:
- An overview of the phonics skills, sight words, vocabulary words, literacy concepts and other learning skills introduced in each book
- Discussion questions to promote vocabulary development, reading comprehension and overall enrichment of literacy skills
- Extension activities to bring the content to life and foster a deeper understanding and interest in the material.
About the Companion Workbooks
The Learn to Read companion workbooks reinforce and extend the skills introduced in each Learn to Read book through the following kinds of full-color worksheet activities:
- Phonics—to review letter sounds
- Sight Words—to review the high-frequency words that each student must know by sight
- Vocabulary Words—to review new and unfamiliar words from each book
- Learning Skill—to practice related learning skills from each book
- Activity—with easy directions to help each student create a make-my-own mini-book
- An Answer Key
- An Award Certificate
Based on Academic Content and Social Skills
In addition, Learn to Read books are color-coded by curriculum subject to reinforce educational content standards being taught in the classroom. Each book has a math, science, social studies, or fun & fantasy theme. Below is a list of some of the skills covered in the Learn to Read series. (For a complete list see our Skills Guide.)
- States of Matter
- Environmental issues
- Animals and habitats
Fun & Fantasy
- Cultural Diversity
- Map Skills
- World community
- Following directions
- The importance of reading and writing
- Accomplishing goals
A student’s success as a beginning reader requires the right books at the right time. Faced with so many learn-to-read choices in the marketplace, it is often difficult for educators and parents to know which one is best for their emerging reader. The Learn to Read Kids Club offers the right books, the right companion and extension activities along with supportive instructional guides to ensure children get on the path to learn to love reading.
Find out more about the Learn to Read Kids Club by reading the research behind the series, the skills covered or the different ordering options.